Feb 8, 2012

Posted by | 0 Comments

Redbox and Verizon Join Forces To Become Redizon; Bringing Streaming Movie Service

Redbox and Verizon Join Forces To Become Redizon; Bringing Streaming Movie Service

In a move that perhaps some found a little surprising, both Verizon and Redbox are combining forces to to create a streaming video and DVD service. This service will only be available on Verizon’s network. Apparently DVDs will not be available to be shipped to households, like Netflix offers with their own video rental service.

The service is said to be coming out in the second half of 2012. Not to be left out of the picture for DVDs, if you really want to go and rent a DVD, Redbox has plenty of those kiosks around the United States.

Verizon will own 65% of this joint venture, with Redbox getting the other 35% of it. It seems like everybody wants a part of that Netflix pie, getting that streaming service that seems to be on every device possible. The problem with this service is that it will only available through Verizon services. So if you have your Verizon iPhone or Android device, in theory you could get a Redbox app on either one of those phones. Or maybe you would get a Redbox app in your Fios box. Neither Redbox or Verizon have come out and said specifically where the service will appear, but those are some pretty good guesses.

[Source: ArsTechnica]