PlayStation Week in Review: 10/29/11
Ah, the last week of October. For some, it means a frightful celebration is about to begin. For others, it means soaking up release date announcements, basking in one of the year’s top shooters, or anxiously awaiting the blockbuster games of November that are so close we can taste them. Just in time for a weekend of Halloween parties and candy, let’s take a look at the biggest news of the last seven days.
- Battlefield 3 launched this week on PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, and PC. The long-awaited military shooter features the return of DICE’s critically-acclaimed multiplayer approach and the debut of Frostbite Engine 2. The battle for shooter supremacy has officially begun – Battlefield 3 will have to rope gamers in with compelling gameplay and exciting action if it hopes to make a dent in Modern Warfare 3 sales on November 8. Maybe Battlefield is up to the task – 10 million copies have shipped since its launch, and the game has received high critical acclaim. Only time will tell which game comes out on top, but if you’re itching for high-adrenaline FPS action, Battlefield 3 is waiting for you.
- On Tuesday, Rockstar Games shocked the world with an enigmatic tweet and splash screen. The announcement? Grand Theft Auto V is real and in development. If you’re excited to learn more about the game, you won’t have to wait long. Rockstar’s official website details that the game’s reveal trailer will go live on Wednesday, November 2. We’ll be sure to post the trailer at that time, so check back for the video and our thoughts. Nothing else is known about the game at this time, though a stylized “V” in the GTA V logo may offer clues. Be sure to let us know what you want to see in GTA V with this week’s Community Voice, or listen to our thoughts on Vivid Gamer Podcast #07.
- With release dates in Japan and the United States approaching, excitement for the Vita is ratcheting up. If you’re looking to buy one at launch, you may want to take a look at the early release bundle announced for the United States and Canada. The “First-Editon” bundle will include a PlayStation Vita 3G/Wi-Fi model, Little Deviants, a limited edition case, and a 4 GB memory card for $359 (or $299 in Canada). The bundle can be pre-ordered at select retailers, and will be shipped or available for pick-up on February 15 – one week before release! If you’re aching to play the Vita before your friends or interested in Little Dev– a limited edition case, this bundle’s your answer.
- In other news, the official PlayStation Blog was kind enough to shed some light on Mass Effect 3′s co-op multiplayer mode. The co-op campaign, officially titled “Galaxy at War”, will task up to four players with surviving waves of Reapers in locations spread around the galaxy. Galaxy at War will emphasize teamwork – the different weapons, biotics, and skills of each class will complement each other, and must be used effectively for the best chance of success. While objectives such as bomb defusal will creep in from time to time, the progression of each mission is very combat-oriented. Everything from Assault Troopers and Nemesis assassins to Atlas mechs will be thrown against you, and you’ll earn experience towards gun mods and new skills on your way to level 20. While the co-op experience is not necessary for single-player completion, it will unlock certain things in the main game and give players the chance to experiment with different character classes with their friends.
- We’ve previously reported on what content gamers will find in the Metal Gear Solid HD Collection, and we finally have a confirmed release date on the pack. US and Japanese gamers can get their hands on these remastered titles on November 8. Things are decidedly less fortunate for EU fans, who will have to wait until February 3, 2012 (ouch!) to experience the collection. Metal Gear Solid 2, Metal Gear Solid 3, Metal Gear, Metal Gear 2, and Peace Walker are all featured in the pack, and Peace Walker saves will be cross-compatible between PSP and PS3. Thanks to IGN.
- You may be all caught up with thoughts of trick-or-treating, but Thanksgiving is also on its way. With the annual turkey dinner comes Black Friday, and those looking for a sweet deal on a PlayStation 3 or Xbox 360 may want to hit up… Radio Shack? Yep, that’s right. A leaked bulletin from the electronics retailer lists two very enticing bundles for gamers looking to join the HD generation or get a sweet gaming gift for someone special. The bulletin lists the 160 GB PlayStation 3 and a $20 gift card at $199, while the recently-released 4 GB Xbox 360 will be bundled with Kinect for the same price. No word yet on if any games will be included, but at these prices, you’re already getting a fantastic deal. Thanks to Examiner.
That’s all for this week’s review! With the first deluge of late-season games upon us, and another round just over the hill, the holiday gaming season has officially begun. Be sure to check out this week’s Community Voice and leave your thoughts on Grand Theft Auto V, and stay tuned for Vivid Gamer’s reviews of inFAMOUS: Festival of Blood, Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception, Battlefield 3, and The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. Our Arkham City giveaway contest wrapped up yesterday, but stay tuned for another event where we’ll be giving away a copy of Uncharted 3 and related swag!
Let us know what you think of these headlines and any that we missed in the comments below, and come back next week for another PlayStation Week in Review!
*PlayStation Week in Review is a feature article that recaps the most interesting PlayStation news of the week. We also run Xbox Week in Review for all your Xbox news of the week.