Xbox Week in Review: 10/22/11
There hasn’t been a lot of Xbox news over the past few weeks, but this week there were some pretty exciting announcements including a demo announcement for Mass Effect 3, new Gears of War 3 single player content, rumors of a new Xbox releasing in 2013 and the announcement of a few holiday bundles. Here’s what you might have missed this week in the world of Xbox:
- Rumors of the next Xbox being in development started with the sighting of a Xbox 720 banner in a movie trailer. Now according to several sources cited by Develop Microsoft might be planning a new Xbox console for 2013, to be announced at that year’s E3. There have been a few Linkedin accounts stating that they are working on the next console along with Lionhead reportedly working on another Fable title for “Xbox Next.”
- Gears of War 3 is getting a another big DLC pack and this time it will be single player focused. Titled “RAAM’s Shadow” the second DLC supposedly delivers more than three hours of gameplay and takes place before the events of the first Gears title. The pack will also come with six new multiplayer characters, a new weapon set, and of course more achievements. The second DLC pack will be releasing on Dec. 13 for 1,200 Microsoft Points ($15).
- One of the bigger announcements last week was BioWare’s confirmation of multiplayer coming to Mass Effect 3 and this week we found out when we can get a first glimpse at the multiplayer action. Bioware has announced via Twitter that a single and multiplayer demo will be released in January 2012. Furthermore, a post on the official Bioware forums confirms that gamers who buy a new copy of Battlefield 3 (or at least an Online Pass) will receive early access to the demo’s multiplayer component when it launches. Read more about this announcement here.
- Xbox Live hacking continues to be a problem, but Microsoft has done a great job of keeping this story out of the headlines. I reported my own personal account of this issue last month and over this week a few other outlets have reported on the issue as well. As of now it seems that Microsoft isn’t seeing this as a big problem and has issued general statements regarding the hacking. For now people are continuing to have fraudulent charges made on their account. So if you have an Xbox Live account and have a credit card attached to it, it’s a good idea to call up Microsoft and have that removed right away.
- Batman Arkham City released this week and there have been some issues with customers receiving invalid DLC codes that came with the game. Several gamers, particularly those who purchased the collector’s edition of Batman: Arkham City discovered their code to redeem Catwoman’s DLC either didn’t work or was missing completely. Although Warner Brothers claims the problem affected only about 0.5% of those who purchased the game, they’re willing to help a guy out: just call or email, and they’ll apparently get you a working code.
- Finally Microsoft announced two new Xbox 360 bundles coming out for this Holiday season. One bundle comes with an 250 GB HDD Xbox 360, Kinect, Kinect Adventures and Carnival Games: Monkey See Monkey Do. It wil also come with 3-months of Xbox LIVE Gold all for $399. The second bundle will come with the same stuff except it will have a copy of Halo: Reach and Fable III instead of the Kinect and the Kinect games. This one will retail for $299.
That’s it for this week’s Xbox news, be sure to come back next week for another Xbox Week in Review. As always be sure to check out Kyle’s PlayStation Week in Review for all your Sony news.