Trophy Guide: Catherine
Stay in the bar until all the other customers left.
On certain nights everyone will leave to do other things. These are mostly later ones (around 5) but require no effort to achieve. If you talk to everyone till you’re out of options than it will unlock on nights where everyone leaves. This should come naturally if you care about the side stories.
Unlock the Altar by earning 1 Gold Price on Normal or Hard.
See “Taking on the Gods”
Complete Stage 1 of Babel.
In my opinion this is oddly enough the second hardest stage. There isn’t a lot to this one and thus there’s not a ton of tips out there. The main thing you need to realize is that this is the least randomized off them all with key similarities in all tries. These include the following common elements.
- Around step 40 there will be a series of wide blocks that have a simple pull > jump > pull > drag system. (making stairs more or less) These stages will generally continue till mid-60’s and should follow the below pattern.
- 3 > 2 > 2 > 2 > 3 > 4 (each number refers to the number of rows till the next level.)
- Each of the following area set has their own common puzzles. By remembering where you see each one more often you can anticipate the same puzzles there. This should give you a clear quick route to the top.
- 1 – 40
- 41 – 60
- 60 – 90
- 90 – 120
- 120 – 150 (goal)
- Most puzzles on Altar feature a quick solution that doesn’t ruin the formation. If you can figure out each puzzle, then it will be a matter of pulling it off each time you encounter it. Shockingly there are only around 15 different designs.
- If you can get to around 120 the pace changes greatly and the drop pattern should change to one similar to 41 – 60. This is common of ALL the Babels.
Unlock Menhir by earning 3 Gold Prizes on Normal or Hard.
See “Taking on the Gods”
Complete Stage 2 of Babel.
I believe this is the third hardest Babel stage so be prepared. With that being said, it’s basically a LOT of inazuna (using the furthest block and pushing it to the end then pulling out the block next to it.) There really isn’t anything complex about this puzzle and if you can expand space you should be fine. There are very few broken boxes (unlike Altar) but it can be hard to master as these skills are used more in Rapunzel over Golden Theater/Babel.
Unlock the Obelisk by earning 5 Gold Prizes in Normal or Hard.
See “Taking on the gods”
Complete Stage 3 of Babel.
This was by a wide margin the simplest Babel stage for me because there is a clear trick to it. Each puzzle generally has a solid foundation. Why is this important? Well depending on which block you pull out on the floor below you will either get up there with ease or ruin the foundation. Your objective is to always pick the safe block. This sounds more complex than it really is and will boil down to you looking for whichever box isn’t connected to the path you wish to go. If you don’t see it at first you can just go into the XMB and look at the map. This might only work for the PS3 side though.
There are some other things I noticed but be warned some of these are theories based off common occurrences.
- Mystery boxes seemed to have common outcomes based off your step counter. They were roughly similar to the pattern below.
- 1 – 120: Bombs/Ice/Broken Box.
- 121 – 170: Broken Box/Spikes.
- 171+: Spikes/Ice.
- Once you get into the wide section you have to disarm as many monster blocks as possible. These will usually get in your way and even if you waste time, get them out of your way ASAP.
- Sometimes you can’t play it safe. If you have to set off a bad block than move as quickly forward as possible. Safety should be a secondary concern.
- Try to advance in the middle as certain sides will have common threats to your life. Right was usually Spikes and Left was usually Bombs.
- Make sure to remember that a Spike Block is ONLY safe if it’s blue!
If the concepts mentioned here are too hard to understand please shoot me a message. If enough people are confused I will upload a video displaying the method.
Unlock Axis Mundi by earning all Gold Prizes on Normal or Hard.
Babel is frankly extremely hard because you need to understand a lot of things very quickly. There are perks to unlocking these stages like Axis Mundi starts with a special cut scene and ends with one too. There is also the thrill of knowing that these can’t be beat through simply watching YouTube. The tricks are mostly conceptual. For tips on getting gold see “The Golden Child”.
Conquer the final stage of Babel.
AXIS MUNDI SUCKS! That’s just simply the end all. The level is designed extremely poorly and will do nothing but stress you out. There is an “easy” version of it that’s not like the typical checkerboard pattern. The easy version will appear in any YouTube video on the stage… Sadly according to the Japanese wiki(s) this stage only gives that build once in a great while. In my 9 hours of playing I never once saw it… so this is like the pure bladestone (Demon Souls) of Catherine.
Guesswork a member of an Xbox forum was telling me his friend constantly got the “easy” build regardless of the time he put in. Not only was it easier but it didn’t advance as quickly as ours. He believes in theory the game gives you the easy Axis Mundi if you gold all of normal to unlock it. This is purely a theory and up to you if you want to try it.
Regardless of how you feel there only one right way to do this level. When you play co-op the game gives you easier patterns less floors and other perks. This is all at the cost of both of you needing to advance and finish the level. This is very similar to stage 8 in Golden Theater but you must stay by your partner for them to see the path ahead of them. Also if you’re both on a square the other is pushed off and falls to the next lowest level.
When this stage is attempted in co-op it’s very similar to Altar, but maybe that’s pushing it. (It might be easier! HAHAHA) Anyways, the only challenge is keeping the other person alive and leaving a path for them to always advance. There are only around 220 floors in co-op and can easily be completed in less than 15 minutes; however this is is no walk in a park like it sounds but it’s easier than getting 100 steps alone.
- Special ending with Ishtar.
Earn Gold Prizes on all Hard difficulty stages.
This sounds easier than it actually is. Basically you will need to do the following tasks without fail.
- Complete every stage without dying. (Reloading from the start is okay.)
- Pick up the vast majority of coins.
- Make it to the top retaining a full step counter. (Missing more than 5 steps total will result in a Silver Prize.)
- The speed you keep is more or less irrelevant.
If you think this is manageable than give it a go. If you’re stuck, you can try watching a YouTube video of the stage but most of the difficulty will come from the bosses/dynamic elements. Under each stage trophy I tried to include helpful information or tips. This will come down to how well you understand the game and how quickly you can complete the tasks.
The following is a difficulty break down. This lists the levels in the order I had trouble from hardest to easiest. This will be slightly different for everyone:
Some additional tips to keep in mind:
- You can finish every level via replay and get the trophy. I strongly suggest you do stage 1 and 2 that way because can get drunk at the bar for faster speed.
- Each level has a low margin of error and I believe each level has a maximum score.
- The buffer between Silver and Gold Prize is very low. Something like 7,000 or so points. Failing to keep a combo in the middle could easily result in getting 20,000+ less points.
- I only suggest playing area 9 via campaign. When you play via campaign you have limited retries but you can save. Saving will be more helpful since silver can be corrected but retries might make it extremely hard. You can always lower the difficulty to rack up saves via campaign though.
Beat Stage 64 of Rapunzel.
On certain floors (52, 56, 60, and 64) there are rosaries (chains with a cross on them) and they’re needed to unlock the additional game. All four of the listed levels need to be completed in the first playgthrough; so make sure to just do them the first time. They can just be completed though chapter select though. If you’re having issues simply YouTube the solutions. Most use Inazuna though.
Uncover the truth behind Rapunzel.
This will unlock once you play the extra mode. To unlock extra mode read “Past a Heap of Puzzles”. At the end of the level you will be given a code to input. The code is as follows…
- Down x2
- Up x3
- Down x4
This will only work if you see a heart on the title screen. If inputted correctly the colors will turn purple and you can start over on another 64 puzzles… that are harder. Thankfully this will unlock upon starting the first stage.
Hear Rapunzel’s sad song.
Brace yourself for this monster… you need to complete extra stage 64 with all four rosaries. Extra mode is a bit different since they can only be seen with the magic lamp item. Remember they must be done in one sitting and are stages 52, 56, 60, 64.
When you finish watching the sad cut scene you will be given the trophy and most likely your platinum/1,000 Points.