Jun 21, 2011

Posted by | 0 Comments

City of Heroes Goes Free-to-Play

City of Heroes Goes Free-to-Play

Paragon Studios plans to move the MMORPG, City of Heroes, which has been available for seven years, to a free-to-play model later this year. Over 80% of what is available to the current paid subscribers will become available for free. The other 20% will have to be purchased through an online store. Paragon Studios will also offer a VIP subscription model in the future. The new model is going to be released under the aptly named City of Heroes Freedom.

Paragon Studios plans to make the experience for new players more streamlined, as well as keeping the old players happy. Paragon Studios is also allowing current players to build up “loyalty” points within the game, which the player will be able to use to make purchases in the online store, and all current subscribers will be moved to the VIP subscription service when it is available.

City of Heroes executive producer, Brian Clayton, says that “at the end of the day it’s still a subscription based business model, but it’s a new opportunity to allow more people to try before they buy.”

[Source: Gamasutra]